Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows crash after printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

prangster

MIS
Sep 14, 1999
US
I have a problem when new/different printers are used with my application. My application has worked fine for several years with HP Deskjet printers. I have NO printer specific code, these are FoxPro reports, and I use the default Windows printer. Several users recently bought new Brother printers and installed them uneventfully. The printer works fine with all other Windows programs: Wordpad, Excel, Paint Shop, AOL, etc. However, when they print from my application the computer crashes. Sometimes during printing the system crashes and sometimes printing will complete but as soon as they try to move to a different part of the application the computer crashes. By crash I mean it freezes (Ctrl-Alt-Del does not even work) or it might give a fatal exception error (this is infrequent).

So far as I can determine the crashes occur only when using the Foxpro application.

I compiled the application using Foxpro v6.0 with SP4 installed on Windows 95. User systems are Windows 98 (w/o second edition). This is driving me BUGGY! The application works fine on several different models within the HP Deskjet series but not outside the HP line. My development system has an HP Deskjet attached. That appears to be the "common thread" but I deliberately code to avoid anything in my program that is printer specific.

Any help will be appreciated.

See faq184-581, it might be the answer Diederik Vermeeren
verm1864@exact.nl

Thanks. I cleaned out the expr, tag, tag2 fields on the first record in all the reports. Recompliled and sent the new .EXE. I also had the user remove then reinstall the printer driver for his printer. All this was completed without any problems.

HOWEVER, Widnows still freezes the machine (the cursor does not move and Ctrl-Alt-Del does not work) after the print job completes and a different part of the application starts.

It sounds like you are including the report files in your executable. If this is the case, you need to exclude the report files and distribute them along with your executable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back