Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows could not load the installer for display

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavePL

IS-IT--Management
Sep 11, 2000
US
We tried to upgrade some computers from Win'98 to Win'2000, with NTFS. Everything works except the video driver, which is somehow corrupt. It says "Windows could not load the installer for display" every time we try to upgrade or install a new video driver. We've tried a lot of things, including the windows installer cleanup utility, and are about ready to reformat, and do a clean install, but were hoping there may be a way to uncorrupt the video.
Something about upgrading from '98 to NTFS has gotten the old video driver unaccessible.

Have you tried locating another video driver for W2K? Many video drivers for Win98 do not work with W2K. In fact, there are several video display cards that do not have W2K drivers available. Check the display card mfg's web site. If nothing there, you might try

Windows won't allow any upgrading of the video driver, it always gets stuck with that same error message about the installer error. It won't even let us view information about the video display settings. Even in safe mode. I think this case may be impossible to solve and we're seriously planning to reformat them all. Maybe with Ghost to make it easier. There is a utility called "driver cleaner", but it seems meant for nvidia adapters.

we're seriously planning to reformat them all
I didn't realize you had the same problem on all the machines you upgraded. First, try running SFC.exe /scannow. It might find something. If not, then I agree you should build at least one machine from the ground up (reformat).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back