Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows cluster problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalswag

Technical User
Sep 20, 2006
CA
I have inherited a 2003 cluster that has active derectory clustered on it want to remove it off of the clustered server and put it on two individual servers is there any thing more that i need to do to demote the cluster or just run dcpromo and remove it

thanks

Since AD environments are usually replicated between servers, it's somewhat redundant (as far as I am concerned, I could be wrong) that someone would cluster a DC. Are these DCs the only DCs in your AD environment? What FSMO roles do they hold?

we are adding 2 new server as dc and going to take all the fsmo roles over so they will have none when we are done

Although I've never done this, it sounds like your solution is going to be simple. It sounds like you are getting new servers, and the current cluster is going to be removed (including both nodes).

If I am correct above, after you have AD replicated and your FSMO roles moved to the new server(s), then simply pause the passive node, then demote AD on the active node. You can then Evict the Passive node and the Active Node and turn off the servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back