Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows clock 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

oversight

Programmer
Mar 11, 2004
AR
Hello boys,
Is there a way to "lock" windows's clock so time cannot be altered by a user?

Thanks

Not that I can think of. However, there are many utilities to sync the clock with external time servers, perhaps you could find one that runs in the background, without a system try icon. You could set it to update the time every 5 minutes or whatever you want.

Search google.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Hi, oversight,

Having a fully synchronised clock across your system is important for lots of reasons, including legal.

It' very embarrassing indeed when at a tribunal or other hearing having to explain why replies to emails are received before the original message was sent.

Ideally your office and telephone clocks should be synchronised with your PCs too.

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Firstly;
Are you sure it's a user doing it ?, and not the CMOS battery dying??

Secondly;
I was able to manually enforce some policies with Reg edits to
-- Remove the Time/Date applet from Control Panel (Applet Disappearing trick)..
-- Deny Access to the whole Control Panel
-- Make absolutely NOTHING happen when you Right click anywhere on the taskbar.
-- and some other assorted things

BUT;
Couldn't get that darn Systray applet to Not Keep coming up on a double click...So;
like another said..--probably not do-able--

I haven't tracked down HOW to make the clock "disappear" from the systray (except maybe, don't load Systray)...and this can be a problem, cause then there's no Clock to "LOOK AT"...I don't look at mine anyway

So; Two Options;
Learn how to modify the Win32 API and edit the functions(scary)
or
Use a tool to Sync it, as is stated..

There may be a diff way...just haven't found it yet [smile]

Oh, don't forget..CMOS batteries have a 3-4 yr lifespan

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs..All involved shall be spared the grief.

Actually aside from hacking the registry and making it harder to undo any changes, I suggest you use the System Policy Editor which adds administrative control to Windows 9x/ME. It's not as efficient as NT administrative policies, but it's the next best thing.

With it, you can disable access to change the time, at the same time leaving the clock present in the taskbar.

Go to this site for some information on how to set it up:

Also dont forget to lock out access to the MS-DOS prompt. Otherwise, they could go there and use the time command to make a change.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[stpatrick2] [navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

That's quite funny cdogg;
Thought I had the manual hacks available....didn't remember it was a function available in system policy editor (haven't used it in quite a while)
Poledit usually writes Dword values rather than binaries like most Tweakui, though not all.
(which, it was Very easy to do, "Once" you know that "small" little parameter to add and the obvious value).
Maybe, I'll install just to see what reg change it makes, so I can do it manually....
I hate installing all the bloat of a whole program, just to get it to do one special trick....
Guess I missed one of those in my travels..
Oh well...time to update [smile]

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.

Good point. Everyone has their preference, and I agree that going through the policy editor setup can "saturate" the system and be time consuming. If you figure out a nice way to hack it with a couple simple regedits, let us know!

~cdogg
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[stpatrick2] [navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Hey cdogg;
Are you sure that it's possible??...cause as I said , I have a list of pretty much all the things SysPoledit will do...I could be wrong.., but if you're sure.,I'll proceed....

You and I both know the usual "where" and "what" gets written..and the data values and names...
I looked pretty hard (google, etc.), and sought out some combinations, and haven't yet found "anything" either in graphic, or print, to affirm your claim....
I mean, it's possible MS thought,..."Why would anyone want to mess with the clock"? and didn't issue it a command in the win32 API...(whatever)
You see my point??
Anyways... give me a hoot, so I can follow thru, or forget it..

TT4U

Notification:

Well;
I just manually went through *all* the .adm files with NotePad to see if any setting is there....none that i could see, though.
Man, there are a lot more settings than I thought....some useless, and all always "breakable"....but can't 'lock the clock', so to speak..

Unless, it can be done by "Enabling" active desktop. yep, that's right...enabling..AND enforcing the "no changes to active desktop" policy. Somehow, I think not...

Ofcourse, if it's a networked box, i guess you could "update" the time ....Sync like ....oh say, every second, if you wanted to..

TT4U

Notification:

>Couldn't get that darn Systray applet to Not >Keep coming up on a double click...

Renaming TIMEDATE.CPL to something else, e.g., TD.CPL, will stop the double click from opening it.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Oversight;
I think Kybrdmky has the answer......I don't know why.....but I forgot all about that trick..I used to tell people to do it with the Desk.cpl (Display applet) all the time...(keep the pesky buggers from messin with the Display settings)[smile]
Well, i guess being overworked, and tired , and buried into all these great little manual reg tweaks,.... I plumb forgot.

Rename it something like timedate.xxx or .old (Just make sure you "remember' where you put it and what you name it
there's a couple of other things to do to really keep it hidden; like after renaming, move the applet to another folder, also keep someone for searching for it, renaming it back, and accessing drives and Dos mode or installing a new one, using Poledit..

(adding the applet name)
In control.ini in Windows, under
[don't load]
timedate.cpl
will make it vanish from the Control Panel

mattjurado;
look up my friend ^^^^^
[smile]

TT4U

Notification:

oversight,
Yes, sorry it took so long to get back to you. Unfortunately, the extent of the "System Policy Editor's" ability to lock the clock would be to use it to disable the "Date/Time" entry in the control panel and to hide the taskbar altogether. That's probably not the solution you're looking for.

Renaming timedate.cpl as others have mentioned is probably the best alternative. It's not hard to get around, but for the average joe it should do the trick.

The final alternative is to invest $15-20 in a decent utility that can lock down all kinds of settings in Windows including the clock, and log all activity by a user. I haven't tested any myself, but there just crawling all over the net. Here's one that comes with a free 30-day trial:

~cdogg
[tab][tab]- Aristotle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back