Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Clipboard empty when I open MS Word 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRyerson

MIS
Jan 20, 2003
US
If I select and copy text or an image and *then* open MS Word 2000 on an XP machine, I cannot paste it. The Windows Clipboard has been cleared.

The only way I can accomplish the task is to *first* open MS Word and *then* select/copy.

Is there any way to "fix" this?

Marty

I have Word 2K and I don't have this problem - usually. There are some applications that don't use the Windows clip board and, as you mention, Word must be open already in order to cut-n-paste.

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

This problem does not occur in Windows 2000. Only on XP Home (two machines with different users, that I know of). As far as I have been able to determine, the problem occurs with ALL other applications. I can paste into other applications, e.g., NotePad or email, just not Word. If I copy and then open word, then I cannot paste anywhere, including notepad. In other words, it appears that MS Word is clearing the windows clipboard. I can think of no reason why this should happen, and I cannot find a setting to turn this "feature" off.

Marty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back