Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows client cannot see linux client on internal network, but can ex

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoomforce

Technical User
Jan 6, 2002
CA
hey I am still having this problem.

I use to be able to FTP and surf to the linux webserver on my network from my windows clients, but my ISP changed my static IP and suddenly i cant ping or ftp or websurf the server, from inside my network. I know the server is working properly ( I think ) because the outside world has no problem pinging or FTP or web surfing to the Linux Server... I just cant do it internally (except for on the linux server, if I am on the linux box i can ftp itself using any of the web domains or ips its assosicated with)

so I am hoping as a last ditch effort before i reformat the linux box some guru here can help.. here is some info if it helps:

Windows XP box:

Ethernet adapter Hard Wired 100mps:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : bc.hsia.telus.net
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 64.180.111.82
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.248.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 64.180.104.254

Linux Box (mandrake 9.0):

inet: 142.179.67.159
bcast: 142.179.67.255
mask: 255.255.254.0

I took the hardware router off the network to elimante that possibility, both mahcines are directly connected to the Modem via a standard switch, and both are reciving the Static IP'S given from my ISP.

I am not sure what changed when the IPS changed, but something happend (I did not hardcode or change any settings on either machine, I just released/renewd my windows machine and rebooted the linux server and they both attatched to the given IPS automatically.

THe Ip change happened three days ago, so I dont really thing its any sort of DNS issue (the DNS server is third party DNS service outside the network)

HELP!

Your linux box is no longer on the same subnet as your windows box. Either add it to your local DNS or hosts file.

hey, thanks, add it to my hosts file? on my windows machine? how do i do that? Thanks so much for your help :)

i added this line to my hosts file in the windows system 32 drivers directory, I think thats what you meant

127.0.0.1 localhost
142.179.67.159 pagegods.com

but, i still cant ping either the domain or the IP of the machine??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back