Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows boots but no icons are displayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

proudusa

MIS
Sep 19, 2001
US
Windows 98 boots and displays network logon but after logging in or cancelling it no icons are displayed on the desktop. No icons are displayed in safe mode either.

Is it a corrupted Explorer.exe file?

Thanks

History? When did icons last appear on desktop, and what's happened since (hardware/software changes, settings change, virus, major crash etc).

Have you tried restoring a version of the registry from before this happened? (boot to command prompt and run scanreg /restore).

Have you chek control panel\screen\WEB
Mark "Show web on Active desktop"

Steen Kjeldsen

The icons and system tray were all missing. On one occasion it occured after removal of IE 6.0 and reverting back to a previous installation.

To solve the issue i reinstalled Windows over itself by renaming win.com to win.old and installing into C:\windows.

That happened to me - before I had to reformat and reinstall...

I had a virus that only attacks .exe files - first, I couldnt play games...then I couldnt use the internet...then I got the symtoms that you appear to be having...(no icons).

You may not have the same virus, but maybe something similar. Unfortunately, you probably have to get rid of the virus (if you have one) and reinstall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back