Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Authentication...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pronstar

MIS
Aug 26, 2002
US
I have 1 W2K AD Domain with 4 Domain Controllers. 2 DC's are physically located at one location, while the other 2 DC's are physically located at a second location but connected over an OC-3 line. Currently, all DC's are listed as being in one site within AD... I know... bad design and I'll be creating a second site for the second location. Also, 3 of the DC's are GC's. However, my question is this:

A server at location B needs to stay logged in because of a running application, and his logon server is a DC at location A (for some strange reason.) If something happens to the link between the locations, what happens to the open session described above? Will that server continue to try and access the DC that is no longer available, or should that server recognize that the DC in location A is no longer available during that existing session and find a different DC at location B? In a recent test, this did not occur and we were forced to log out and log back in... forcing Windows to look for a new DC. Does someone know if this is by some strange design???

I appreciate any/all info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back