Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows authentication when using a DNS name rather than IP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

slobad23

IS-IT--Management
Jun 30, 2006
GB
Hello all,

IIS7
Windows Server 2008
Internet Explorer 8
.Net 4

Using IIS 7 on a windows 2008 server, I have a site set up to server a page named "Test.html". When I browse to this page from a client machine in IE8, I can view the page without any issues (security setting is anonymous).

I don't want anonymous, so I set up the site to use Windows Authentication (as the only enabled authentication method) and browse to the page from the client machine. When I browse to it prompts me for user name and password. When I provide that, I receive the page and am presented with my beautiful "it works!". When I browse to I receive a 401 unauthorised message (after being prompted for my user name and password).

Does anyone have any advice here?

If I am missing key pieces of information, I would be more than happy to provide that to you.

Thanks all,

Jake

"It doesn't do anything"

"Correction, it DOES nothing

To answer me own question here:

When using an IP address, the default authentication mode (whether you specify negotiate or not) is NTML. It was not using the authentication mode I thought it was with the IP address.

What I had to do was create an SPN for the account running the app pool for the web service (rather than the machine name). Also, I had to configure IIS to useAppPoolCredentials="true"

Along with this, there was a chance to be made to the web.config bindings for my service - I was not using the namespace for the contract, I was just using the name IService.

Following a lot of headaches, I got this working :)

"It doesn't do anything"

"Correction, it DOES nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back