Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows antivirus 2008 extreme (disabled malware bytes anti malware) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

electronicsfreak

Technical User
Sep 2, 2004
US
Ok, I have been helping a friend when I have time. She lives a few states away from me, so I have been using realvnc to go through and clean it out. Well 99 percent of the computers I work on, as I do this all the time, I clean without any problems.

However, I have just got defeated. This antivirus 2008 has completely disabled every program except antivir and avg anti rootkit. I can find the files with avg anti rootkit, remove them, but they come right back.

Malware bytes anti malware, super anti spyware, both are disabled. Meaning, you can not open them. I have found its files, used bart pe to delete them, or delete what I thought was some of its files. They come back. I have manually searched the registry and deleted keys, they have come back. So I figured it was time to come back to people who have more experience on this than me.

Any ideas? By the way hijackthis does little good in this scenario, as it only brings up its fake temp files that are changed everytime you delete them. Similar to cool web search on how it acts. These files below are not all of them, just some of the ones ive found. I hate when it happens, but I have been defeated.

svnshost.exe (has a weird symbol that shows up above the n)

svschost.exe

tdsspxoe.sys

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

Have you tried running your AV Programs in safe mode?

Failing this. Malwarebytes can be run from a bootable CD. there have been some recent posts on how to set this up.

You can also try
Combofix

and
SDFix

Make sure you read and understand the implications of using these, as they work a very low level.

Steve: N.M.N.F.
If something is popular, it must be wrong: Mark Twain

I will be giving those a try. I tried the antivir rescue cd about a week ago. Problem with it, since she was on lcd, the scan part was off the screen. You could not get to it. So that kind of stopped us from using that cd lol.

I will post back when I get a chance.

Thanks a lot for all the input, really.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

You can run the Dr. Web live CD in text mode (rather than gui) to solve your monitor problem.

She got the dr. web live cd to work. It appears to have worked as all other programs are opening now. She is scanning with the others now. I'll post back with the results as I find out. Thanks again for the help!

I typically remove the infected hard drive and attach it to another computer using an IDE/Sata to USB Adapter and use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, AVG Anti-Virus and Microsoft Windows Defender Anti-Spyware to eradicate those pesky varmits. A bit of extra work, sure, but nearly 100% successful. Of course I'm a tech support guy, I know most home users don't have the tools we use typically use on the job, but just wanted to share this info.

Yeah, I would have as well, however, if you notice, the client lives 3 states away lol. I was using a vnc connection to work on it.

Another thing, slaving the drive and running programs that way is a last resort. As many of times, running programs like that can cause problems.

Ok, its officially clean now. Thought id let you guys know.

Thanks again!!

Learned new things over that experience lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back