Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows and Watching PAL DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

osika

Technical User
Jun 30, 2002
US
Hello,

I'm living in Germany for the next year. I bought my Dell laptop in the states. I have Windows XP Media Center Edition. I have bought several DVDs here, but can't watch them. I'm told I need to change the settings in Media Center so that I can watch DVDs from Germany. Can someone please explain how this is done? Thanks so much.

Ryan

what software are you using to play the DVD? PowerDVD?

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

Hi,
You would probably need to change the region code for the DVD ( it may be changed a limited number of times)..Search this forum for 'Region Code', peerhaps like this thread:
thread779-576036
and find more details..HOWEVER, if the DVD is in PAL format, your monitor/video card will not be able to show it due to differences in raster creation ( if I recall correctly)..

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Can't see the PAL / NTSC issue being a problem on a pc. I live in the UK and can play NTSC no problem (PAL is default)

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

Hi,
OK then just the region change should be needed.

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

I watch PAL / NTSC DVDs all the time and have never changed my Region Code. in the DVD Players. I use a small program called "DVDIDLE" which auto switches and leaves the DVD code setting as original installed. Simply Great for watchin any Regions DVD.s

Frank Smith irc.dhcnetwork.com
gunslinger.gif

SomeWhere in Kansas Near Dodge City

Also look at dvd decripter if you need to copy to hard drive to play without regions. Laptops were made to use in all places in the world. So its just software setting.

Never give up never give in.

There are no short cuts to anything worth doing :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back