Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Alarm Handling

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnicholson99

IS-IT--Management
Jun 27, 2002
GB
Does anyone know how to detect and handle a Windows usb overpower alarm on an XP system?

I have no clue, but I'm sure it would require tapping into the drivers which are installed for your UPS. These drivers (I assume) recognize the command received from the UPS and in turn, send a shutdown command to Windows (when appropriate). I guess you need to tap into these drivers to catch this alert, don't think there's anything built-into Windows for this. UPS devices can vary, and the commands vary along with them. The drivers are what translate those commands and perform the appropriate actions to Windows.

JD Solutions

djjd47130, I think you misread my post. I am trying to handle a Windows USB overpower alarm (not UPS). The usb device is pulling too much power and I guess the alarm will be generated by the Windows hub driver.

Not really, but I can give you some ideas where to look. Try the Win32_USBController, Win32_USBControllerDevice, and Win32_USBHub WMI objects or the WinUSB API. If this is related to a specific device, you might look into the manual/documentation for the device in question.

It is not possible for anyone to acknowledge truth when their salary depends on them not doing it.

And as another thought, are you sure this computer this is happening on is working properly (power supply functional, motherboard fully functional)? If I have the OS returning this message, I would start looking at hardware problems more than I would "how to detect and handle" this via Windows API.

It is not possible for anyone to acknowledge truth when their salary depends on them not doing it.

I see, I did read too fast - I was thinking of a UPS losing its power source, sending a message to the PC to shutdown

JD Solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back