Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows activation required after update attempt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlcochran1

Technical User
Jun 25, 2004
US
XP home, a relative tried to apply a software update to a home PC a few months ago, can't remember if it was McAffee or MS windows update. After the update and reboot a message pops up that this version of windows must be activated first before log-in. It is obvious the programs are still there becasue a pop-up also occurs asking for Mcaffee update. I can't activate over the internet becasue I can't log on to go thru the DSL log-in program. I can't update over the phone, after attempting twice the computer automated attendent staes that this is not a valid windows product. I bought the HP 7915 PC several years ago as a Christmas present, it is valid. There was an issue with the HP 7915 and the recovery option so not sure that is a possibility. Not sure the HP patch was ever applied to this PC. Is there a way to bypass and log-in without reinstalling windows? I have no windows installation disks as they are on a separate hard drive partition, no physcial media was shipped.

Any suggestions welocome.

Sounds like you need to make nice with Microsoft by appearances of things. They put in a second layer of validation called Windows Genuine Advantage, which looks like is what you are finding, especially since this program loads upon update.

Unfortunately, Microsoft has this habit of branding people guilty until proven innocent in their piracy jihad by using their spyware, so you're going to have to work it out with them, especially since this computer will not EVER validate now, WGA or no WGA.

Here is the place to start working out your innocence with Microsoft:

(and I apologize for the sarcasm in the last post - hope it does not offend, I really don't like the WGA software one iota)

If you can't sort your problem out personally over the phone with Microsoft (did you speak to the live real person available through the phone activation process after any automatic process fails?), try this.

Follow the links from the first URL to the Recovery options or try the second direct link, your machine may have been setup with the HP "Hidden Recovery Partition".

HP Pavilion 7915 Desktop PC - Product Specifications

HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Performing an HP System Recovery in Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back