Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows ACL, modify without delete

Status
Not open for further replies.

godzilr1

Technical User
Mar 24, 2009
US
Hi guys. I have a situation with ACL's, I'm still learning and not even sure if it's possible.

I have a user that wants a folder called Secure on a share (domain users have modify). In this folder they want to be able to create and modify the documents, but not Delete them once it's in there. I have given them Modify permissions.

The problem I’m coming across is that if we leave it at Modify, they can delete. If I set Deny delete, they can’t rename to files they just created. If I don’t give them modify, they cannot create the files there that they need.

Is there another way around this with a different configuration on permissions or is this even possible at all? Any additional thoughts or ideas on maybe how to go about an entirely different file structure would be great.

Thanks

Changing the name or changing the data within a documents will require delete capabilities as part of the modify rights.

You can deny delete, but the users would need to create a new file each time the wanted it to be a new name or change data within th file(does not effect Adding info to a file).

I would look in to setting up Previous Versions on your server hosting these files.

Modify without deleting ability...
No way around it with the Windows NTFS.

This is Microsoft's largest permission flaw which Novell had correct around 20 years ago with "delete inhibit". Users have been asking MS for a "delete inhibit" equal for years.

If your worried about accidental deletions, look into Diskeeper's "Undelete". I maintain it on most client's main servers. Unlike Shadow copy, all files and folders are protected up to the second, plus it protects with multiple file revisions. Sure beat going to shadow copy (if the info is even there) or tape. Costs $500.00, which is more than I paid, but it it is cheap if a user deletes an entire directory or just one large work intensive file.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back