Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 98se shutdown problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbl

MIS
Sep 6, 2001
CA
We have 98se on some workstations in our network and 2000 pro on others. One workstation, a 98 on a clone pc was having trouble shutting down, generating the error "A fatal exception 0e has occurred at 0177:Bff996ef" virutally everytime the computer was shutdown or rebooted. I have not been able to idenfity the cause of this message.

I've since refreshed that computer by reformatting the hard drive and installing windows 98 second edition. However, when I try to shut it down the computer is non-responsive and when I do a control alt delete to see if anything is "Not responding" I see only rundll32 and explorer in the list of applications shown in "Close Window". If I attempt to close either of them the cursor becomes an hourglass and nothing happens. Pressing control alt delete another time just redisplays the rundll32 and windows apps in the close Windows box again.
I am thinking it might be a hardware problem but does anyone have any idea?

You may also want to look over these for shutdown trouble-shooting:

If you're using Win98 Second edition (4.10.2222A), and the Shutdown supplement is installed but not working correctly,
the Fast Shutdown registry key may be enabled.

The Microsoft System Configuration utility includes an option to disable Fast Shutdown. If this option is unchecked in Windows 98 Second Edition, your system may reboot instead of shutting down.

To resolve this issue, backup the registry and/or export the following keys:
go to Start>Run, type regedit. Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Shutdown

Right-click on the FastReboot entry, choose modify and type in the number 0.

NOTE: When you apply the Windows 98 Second Edition Shutdown Supplement, which addresses shutdown issues, the Disable Fast Shutdown option is no longer listed on the Advanced tab in Msconfig.

In Win98 First Edition (4.10.1998), go to Start>Run, type msconfig, click the Advanced button and check Disable Fast Shutdown.

Troubleshooting Windows 98 Shutdown Problems:

How to Troubleshoot Problems Shutting Down Windows 98 Second Edition:

Knowledge Base Articles: Windows 98 Shutdown:

reghakr

Have had this problem in our office, mainly with a particular batch of new PC's.

What has worked for us is running System File Check: start-run - type 'sfc' and put in Win98 CD. This prompts to restore corrupted Windows files.

In our case, its always the same files that are corrupted, and restoring them usually seems to fix the shutdown problem.

Thanks for all the help, everyone. The answer seems to be in the link offered by jmatt.

As it happens, this computer has a DFE30TX Network card. I've installed the new driver (from late 2001) and now the machine shuts down like a charm. Still have some other apps to install, though, and I sure hope they don't ruin this.

By the way lewic, sfc didn't work for me this time but I've sure seen sfc solve some other nice problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back