Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 98SE Security Update Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orius

Technical User
Feb 10, 2002
US
Hello,
I recently formatted my harddrive and reinstalled windows on my computer and now my antivirus software(panda titanium) informs me everyday that I am missing a critical update from windows. To my knowledge I installed all of the updates and when I go to the windows update site there are no updates to be added in the critical updates and a few random add-in (languages, .net framework etc) in the other category. So...I have checked the installation history on the windows update site and there is one update (Security Update, September 7, 1999) showing a failed installation.
I can find no way to reinstall this update or a way to detect if I actually have it and some log file that my antivirus is reading simply has it noted as a missed install. (The computer/IE/windows appear to run fine, but I am concerned about possibly missing this update)
Pentium III 750mHz
IE 6.0.2800.1106
Windows 98 Second Edition
Panda Titanium 2005 (Antivirus) (I did try reinstalling this to remedy the problem, it did not work)
ZoneAlarm (Firewall, Free version)
If any other information is necessary please let me know.
Thank you for your time,
Zack

Thank you for the reply. After Selecting the correct update then hitting the download icon the next page says it cannot be found? (This happened before when I searched the microsoft site).

Any other suggestions.

Zack

Unfortunately that link transfers you to the same windows link you suppled above. Thanks for the effort though. I will continue too.
Thank you again.

Ok There are two ways to get around this. Update you IE to version 5.5 and you activeX. That will get you the fixes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back