Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 98SE Networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodas51

IS-IT--Management
Sep 12, 2003
US
Problem:
I have set up a network connection on dell laptop running Win98se. Everything works, except I can't browse the network neighborhood. I can ping all PCs on the network, I can map to any shared resource on the network, I can even get on the internet, but when I open the network neighborhood and try to view the entire network, no computers are displayed. The network is a peer-to-peer network.

What I've Done:
I have tested the network card in another laptop, and it works fine. (Linksys PCMCIA NIC)

Checked patch cable, and it is okay.

Tried removing and reinstalling NIC drivers.

Used different PCMCIA slot on laptop.

Installed network components:
Client for Microsoft networks
Linksys NIC
TCP/IP
File and Print sharing for Microsoft Networks

The computer has a unique ip address and computer name, and it is a member in a new workgroup call TUN.

Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

Andrew

What you said is that the laptop is in a new group called tun. Until you add some more computers to the workgroup you won't see any.

And at some time ,you may want to add netbui as a protocol. It helps keep the identifications alive.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

The laptop is in its own workgroup, and it shows up, but there are about ten other workgroups that should be showing up on the network. I've also tried netbeui.

1. In BIOS try, if possible to reassign the IRQ for the network card (if it's 11, try disable IRQ11 maybe the new one will be IRQ10 - IRQ10 is better then IRQ11, which is better then IRQ5).
2. Can you view a computer with "find computer"? If Yes, check the browser service on the PDC; if no, check the WINS: they have to run.
Good luck!
Gicitale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back