Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

beaj

Instructor
Jun 13, 1999
AU
I have a computer that when you choose restart from the Shut Down dialogue scan disk automatically runs. What could be the cause of this?

That is a bit wierd, did you notice whether it stated doing this after you installed something or has it always been doing this?

I would suspect a number of things - a bad hard drive, corrupted registry, bad processor or logic board. I had this problem with a laptop, and I ended up replacing the hard drive and it worked fine.<br>
<br>
First I reloaded the operating system and it fixed the problem for a while, but it came back. Then I replaced the hard drive and now it works fine.

Before I installed a new hard drive, I would first re-format the drive, then re-install one app at a time. Do a shut-down after each installation to see if scan disk runs.<br>
<br>
Jsauce (above) asked if you've always had this problem, or did it start after you installed a new app?<br>
<br>
Since I'm writing to you about this so long after your original message, did you find a &quot;fix&quot;? If so, what was it?<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>

Help me on how to link from excel to wordpad. <br><br>Thanks

Help me on how to link from excel to wordpad. <br><br>Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back