Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows 98 wont let me uninstall norton firewall - runtime error

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregmacca

IS-IT--Management
Aug 7, 2002
GB
Hello

I have norton firewall 2003 installed on my PC. It was working fine for the first two weeks but then when i tried to get on to the menu screen the menus wouldn't load up so i couldn't check or alter any of my settings. In the system tray the icon permanently had a red x in it which would not go away. When I try and uninstall it (with a view to reinstalling it again) i get a runtime error and it says that the windows/system/msiexecf.exe file is a problem and that there is an abnormal program termination. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

G.

just go to the following link:
and type the exact error message you are getting and search.
I am sure you will find a solution there.Norton has a very good search engine for its support site. When every thing else fails,read the instruction manual!

Greg

It sounds as though the altered file is a WINDOWS file (I think windows/system/msiexec.exe is an INSTALLER file), so RUN SFC and see if the scanner picks it up. If not then try to reinstall NORTON without uninstalling.

If the file is beyond redemption, copy it from another WIN98 PC onto a floppy, get rid of the bad one off your machine and copy the good to the exact location as the bad one. Regards
Phil

Please tell me if the answer I gave was helpful to you. Without your feedback I don't know if the answer was correct.

I second Crusty's notion here. In fact, you could try running a entire system scan here and choose to do the fixes manually.

This way you may find more that could be wrong and then make a judgement call as to what to do.

Depending on what shows you may just find that re-installing the program once or a couple time may cure it. If anything allowing you to uninstall it.

This is a method I have used quite successfully:
- Program errors with no resolve from errors information/fixes uncovered from Windows utilities:
- **Reboot to safemode:empty Windows\Temp- Reinstall Program/Reboot:
- Problem Not resolved:
- Check Windows\Temp no files (good) if not enter safemode again delete files, reboot
- Reinstall Program Again, Reboot, Reboot, Delete Temp Files, Reboot, Reinstall, Reboot , Possibly Perform a Successful Uninstall?

Whew....

- Fixed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back