Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 98 slowing down 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hirameck

Programmer
Aug 7, 2003
ZA
HI!

When I start windows 98 the responce is normal but as I proceed it will start to slow down.
I have 31.4 GB space,
Free space : 19.3 GB
Memory : 128.0 M of Ram
System resources : 68%
File system 32-Bit
Virtual Mem: 32-Bit

No virus,
No Trojan,
Defragment done
Cancelled some of my start up programs.

Reinstalled Windows 98 2nd edtion,
Reinstalled Windows Office
Reinstalled IE6

Thanks

D/L and run Ad-Aware, Spybot, and CWShredder to remove any spyware.

Next, run ScanDisk.

If no luck, open System Monitor, and enable 'Unused Physical Memory', 'Processor Usage', and 'Swapfile In Use', and set them up on 'Line Charts'.
If UPM drops down to or near 0 and SIU shows a value, then your system is running out of memory, and the Virtual Memory is activating, which will slow down performance.
To help prevent this, go to Start/Run, type msconfig, click OK, click the Startup tab, uncheck the boxes for all items except ScanRegistry, System Tray, and a firewall(if you use one), click OK, restart at the prompt, and go back to msconfig/Startup to make sure all items are unchecked except ScanRegistry and System Tray.

If the UPM continues to drop to 0 and SIU still activates when opening and closing active programs, then your system may have a memory leak.
Check the softwares' sites for patches to prevent this.
If none are found, then uninstall and reinstall the programs.

If the UPM is ok and SIU shows a zero value, but the 'Processor Usage' shows a high value, then update your antivirus program with the latest updates, and run it again.

If PU shows 0 or a low value, then your HD may be failing.
Run the diagnostics at the HD manuf's site to check it for problems.

This FAQ should get you started:
faq615-3144

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

check your cpu fan or any accessory fans for that matter if its working the way it should. System slow downs such as what is happening to your machine occurs because of overheating cpu. And in addition, overheating will destroy your computer.

could also try to delete the win386.swp and shelliconcache (hidden - use attrib to remove in DOS) files are found in \Windows...reboot and set the Virtual Mem to 256min and 256max ....or higher, but same min/max and then Scandisk and Defrag right afterwards....it'll keep your swap from getting fraggled.
You'll notice future frequent defrags (always Scandisk first) go much quicker.
you may have a mem leak too, in a proggie

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

oh yeh
2 more things - you say you use MS office
Go into Cotrol Panel and totally DISABLE that FindFast Garbage ...it'll kill ya, it's a constant indexing service
Also disable that autosave crud in msword, and macro scanning and the msword built in av applet nonsense

and in MSCONFIG get that OSA crud outta there....you'll need to go into REG prolly to delete it --OR the Startup Folder under Program Files

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.

plus 128MB memory isn't all that much at all, especially if you've got Integrated graphics......up it to 512 or atl;east add a 256MB stick...go to for a guaranteed match (other sites as well will do this)

TT4U

Notification:

And just as a reference...

Increasing RAM to at least 256MB will improve overall performance. However, it WILL NOT increase the % of Free System Resources that was posted in your original post. I just wanted you to be clear on that.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

The system resource issues are mainly tied to too many wrong startup apps usually

TT4U

Notification:

And I consider 68% to be rather low on a freshly booted computer. See if you can get rid of more stuff from loading at startup - most can go with no problems, but do leave any antivirus stuff and you must leave ScanRegistry.

Regards, Andy.
My pathetic attempts at learning HTML can be laughed at here:

I agree with Hot, 68% is in the low zone. Try disabling start up items thru Start...Run,...... msconfig....startup, and be sure to leave scanreg checked. You can reload the others by trial and error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back