Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows 98 shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssimmo

Technical User
Apr 18, 2002
GB
I have a problem with win98 v 4.1 not shutting down, after being sent a patch 4756us8.exe I tried to find out what it did before installing it, now I have a more information than I can understand and cannot get a straight answer from support. Can anyone explain what this patch does as the alternatives are too painful to think about (i.e. I am terrified of registry settings)

Hi

A word of caution, is your Win98 the second edition version. Because this patch only install on Win98 SE.

Basically this patch addresses shutdown issues on systems with specific hardware/software configurations running Windows 98 Second Edition. These issues include systems restarting when selecting shutdown and systems hanging on shutdown.

It also updates the following files
PCI.VXD
APMBATT.SYS
VPOWERD.VXD
CONFIGMG.VXD (for the correct version used)

It's also unchecked the Fast Shutdown in the MSCONFIG.exe.

This is as far as I know. And I am not sure whether this patch changes the registry settings.

rgrds
LSTAN

Look in the previous threads in this forum for some other information. You will find lots of information. You can also look at the FAQ which has valuable information.
You might also install the shutdown icon shortcut that effectively ends your problems.
You can't expect that this group will repeat the previous discussions. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back