Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 98 SE shut down problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ace1974

IS-IT--Management
Apr 15, 2001
US
I am having problems shuting down a Compaq mini desktop computer while loged on to the network. If I log off the network I can shutdown fine but if I am loged on the network it will hang on shutdown. Can you let me know how to fix this problem so I can shutdown with no problems while still loged on the network?

Hi Ace1974,

To kill this problem fast..

1) Minimize all windows
2) Right click on the desktop
3) Select NEW --> SHORTCUT
4) Type in this: "rundll.exe user.exe,exitwindows"

Of course without the opening and closing quotes when you type in this full string in the dialog box.

An icon will be created. Rename this icon to for e.g. Shutdown Win98.

Ask the user to double-click on this icon to shutdown next time.

It works.

Cheers,
libroos : )

Try these updates...
The first one.. is a SE shutdown supplement which comes as a recommended patch from Microsoft.
The second one.. is one more specific to a shutdown problem only if you have many mapped network drives. So if you do try this one as well.

We were having shutdown problems as well, once we downloaded the critical updates from the Windows update website this resolved our shutdown problems. Other tech forums have mentioned that these patches were a temporary fix, but it has been working for us for awhile now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back