Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 98 Reinstall

Status
Not open for further replies.

deemar

Technical User
Jul 22, 2011
I am trying to reinstall W98 on a Pentium-S machine. I have two physical drives [some years ago we added a larger drive (2012mb?) made it the C: drive, partitioned it into three drives, and used the smaller (1221Mb?) old C: drive as D:] (The disk sizes above are what FDISK shows me now.)

I formatted C: using the format command on the windows CD (11/24/98) which produces a 2012Mb disk with one active "PRI-DOS" partition in FAT16. Drive 2 has two Non-DOS partitions of 600Mb and 620Mb.

I boot from the W98 Boot Disk, go into the Windows setup routine on the CD, it loads all the files and gets to the reboot step. At this point it hangs. Subsequent reboots hang at the same point: "EZ-BIOS: Continuing Startup..."

Any suggestions? How do I get it to format in FAT32?

Many thanks.
Deemar

I suspect that your problem relates to the fdisk you are using. There was a change in 1999 or 2000 that allowed large disk support and fat32.
I show 2 dates for fdisk changes 4/23/99 and 5/18/00 and the date on the format program of 4/23/99.

Or the following:

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back