Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 98 / Office 97 installation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladygnome

Technical User
Mar 31, 2002
CA
I installed Office 97 on Windows 98 and cannot get MS Access to load - there is a memory error occuring. The system has tons of memory. Couldn't find the exact problem on Microsoft. Any suggestions?

Number one thing to always do with office is a reinstall ,and then an install of the latest office service pack over the top.

Yep tried uninstalling and reinstalling Office 97 and had a problem applying the service pack; however, I think I forced it. Problem still exists. It's a clean install of Windows 98 so it's very strange to have a problem.

OK..here are the messages that occur opening Access 97:

First message box:
MSAccess
This program has performed an illegal operation...
details: invalid page fault in module unknown
Close box
Same message occurs again.
Close box
Microsoft Access
A system error occurred or there isn't enough free memory to start MS Access. Close unneeded programs and try again.
There is definitely enough memory as I monitored it.

"Forcing" the service pack to install doesn't sound good. You could try removing Office again then return your registry to a previous state before you started the Office install (provided you did the Office install within the last day or so).

To restore the registry, reboot to "Command Prompt Safe Mode" and type scanreg /restore at the DOS prompt.

I have system 95. A GPF errror continually was showing on whenever we used word or powerpoint. We do not have the original 95 start up cds. So we cannot reinstall word or powerpoint etc. My husband installed another program.Neither Windows or Powerpoint will come back to our system. Due to lack of time and memory on the computer, he stopped midway through the installation process. Now we have lost all of our desktop icons for word, powerpoint excel etc. Currently we have to press the start button on the lower left of the desktop then enter programs. In programs we click on microsoft applications. When we then click on word or powerpoint, it says a device attached to the system is not functioning. One place it said Engine resource file missing: M/SkillB/res640. What does that mean? I am semi computer literate. I will have to be walked through this process step by step. Sorry.
Do I need to upgrade our system from 95 to 98? How do I do that?
I really need Microsoft Word and Microsoft Powerpoint so that I can finish this semester in college. This semester is over in two weeks and I have a research project due this Saturday and a Powerpoint presentation due this Thursday. HELP!!!!!!!!
dhm1717@aol.com
dmisner@iun.edu
today is 12-3-02

Hi,

Thanks Murray and all for the info, that looks like what I need to work on to straighten out the problem.

Now, dhm1717...

You do indeed have a problem. Normally I would say reinstall Office 97.

However, first I would go to control panel and use add/remove programs to remove the program that was installed before the error occurred. While you are in there, see if Microsoft Office is installed. If it is listed here, it should still be on your machine.
Let us know what version of Office you are using.

When you say system 95, you are referring to Windows 95. That is your operating system. Office is a separate product that is installed on top of the operating system. Did you have Office 97 by any chance?

Also, if you have a GP Fault, sometimes it will specify in a specific file and give you some numbers. The entire message would be helpful including any files noted under the details button.

How much memory do you have on the computer (RAM)?
Could your disk drive be close to full? How much disk space do you have available?

If you or your husband did not actually uninstall the office programs, then they are likely still there.
Let me know as much of the above as you can and then we can go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back