Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 98 Install problems on modern machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

salohcinsnave

Technical User
Jun 7, 2006
GB
Greetings!

Windows 98 hangs during the install process every time it tries to detect any plug n play devices/other hardware.

I have tried restarting the computer but when the windows 98 logo screen appears it just hangs again.

I wonder if this may be because I have very recent hardware?

Specs:

Motherboard: ASUS A8N-SLI SE
Processor: AMD Dual Core 4200
RAM: 1Gb
Graphics: Nvidia 6600 Geforce 512Mb
Sound: (built into motherboard)

I also have a a Creative DVD player, LG CD-Writer and a 40Gb Seagate Harddrive (non-scsi).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Oh by the way, I have succesfully installed Slackware Linux 10.2 on this machine without any problems, so that discounts my hardware being at fault.

Thanks again.

Is it really hanging or just taking a long time detecting stuff? On some installations that I thought had hung, actually came back after I'd left it 'running' overnight.

salohcinsnave:

Windows 98 has issues when installing if you have more than 512 mb of ram and if your cpu runs faster than 2.1 ghz. The problem is not your hardware but rather an outdated operating system. Linux doesn't have these limitations which is why you didn't have a problem installing it.

Try a google search for 98SE speed limitations. Should bring you to a site with the solution, one dll needing update. The memory problems are somewhat addressable too, try 98SE memory as a search term.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I'm assuming you have a GOOD reason for installing win 98, making it worth your aggrivation!

I had the same problem then i downloaded driver genius via a good torrent portal once installed run windows 98 in safe mode and detect the drivers you need for your system im up and running now after upgrading an old pc apart from my sound drivers damn i wish i knew how to get them going but the rest is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back