Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 98 Explorer locks up after deleting large amounts of files

Status
Not open for further replies.

SurferJoe

Technical User
Nov 26, 2002
US
I have win98se and ie6 with everything there is to offer at windows updates automatic site. I have flashed my bios to the latest version and I have 384 megs of ram. I have recently reinstalled everything fresh on my machine and I still have this one problem. If I delete like a gig of data on my 30 gig drive, windows explorer starts to hang up everytime I do something that requires a write to disk, so I have to reboot. Is there a patch for this problem somewhere??? Thanks...

I've seen the question in ng's before and have long since pondered why it happens.
No, as far as I know, there's no fix.
It gets down to the measly resources (don't trick yourself here, not RAM but resources) for Win98.
My own SWAG is that doing it completely snatches all the resources and has to keep doing it (choking) until it finally coughs up the right things to do to get thru it and finally breathes again. (probably oversimplified explanation)
So it has to fill the buffer, flush the buffer, fill the buffer and so on.
It also happens on large transfers...and looks like the same problem to me.
The only workaround I've seen suggested that might work (that I can remember now) is adding the vcache settings to system.ini under vcache (where you find it and IF it's empty, usually it is) This is a must-do for Win95...and most are quick to suggest that you don't need it for 98...but I must say it doesn't seem to hurt. But I can't say that it helps, either.
I also read that setting it higher than 32000 is useless...anyway here are the settings:

[vcache]

MinFileCache=32000
MaxFileCache=32000

Ouch I hope somebody has an answer, but I personally felt like it might be one of those things I have to live with or that there was a manually installed patch burried somewhere on their website.

Gee, I miss XTree

I have had a similar problem in deleting large audio WAV files which left the drive totally fragmented. I always Defrag after dumping large amounts of data. Granted this is still a pain but clears the problem. I wonder if this problem has been solved in the XP file system? Stupid me! I'll end up on the funy farm if keep having such ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back