Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 98 drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

elipou

Programmer
Feb 2, 2003
US
I installed 3 OS on a Dell latitude D800 Laptop -- win98, win2k, and winXP. Everything is right with the Operating Systems. My problem is that when running windows 98, the laptop cannot access the internet, the cdrom does not appear in my computer and although the external usb floppy drive does appear, it does not work because the computer freezes up and i have to manually restart it. Dell does not have all the drivers for 98; so I have searched for the device drivers on the internet and even if I am able to find a few and download them through the other Operating systems and place them in the 'C' drive (where windows 98 is), when I run these drivers under windows 98, they don't seem to resolve the problem (like the floppy usb driver which is installed and appears in the device manager. but now i have two copies of the floppy drive in my computer and they don't work). These is what i get from the device manager in windows 98:

+ Hard Disk controllers
---Intel(r) 8281DBM Ultra ATA Storage Controller -24CA
+ ?Other devices
---PCI Ethernet Controller
---PCI Multimedia Audio Device
---PCI Network Controller
---PCI System Peripheral
---PCI Universal Serial Bus

Please help me on this. I'd greatly appreciate it.
Thanks.

This os one of the problems with the rapid advance of systems. Dell isn't supporting their hardware using older versions of the OS.
Consider yourself lucky that you have 2K support. I've run into some that lack support for that OS.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

How about the chipset drivers for the motherboard? Can you find out which one you have? Like a VIA or an Intel? Then get those from them not Dell. In device manager\system devices\ you should see something specific like an Intel 82801AA PCI Bridge. If not then the chipset drivers are not loaded. Boot into 2000 and see what that Device manager says they are. 98 is too old to have them by default you have to go and get them and install them. Then it will start to see the other devices properly and allow the drivers for them to be installed.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back