Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 98 does not renew IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex16254

Technical User
Aug 29, 2002
US
Hello, forum. Please help me on this issue. Windows 98 computer does not renew its IP address automaticaly as shoud. I have brodband Internet access via cable modem. After about an hour the computer drops out of the Internet. I found nothing wrong with the network settings or problem with the network card, so I started to suspect that Windows fails to renew the IP address. I found an artical @ Microsoft support site and they mention the problem but offer no solution. Did anybody come accross this and is there a patch for that?
Thank You.
Alex.

Are you sure that it is the IP address that is not being renewed by the OS, or are you just suspecting?

Typically, your lease lasts a day or more, not an hour.

I'm not saying it couldn't be this, but I would look at spyware or virus first.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back