Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 98 Disk/Key Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

S7eve

Technical User
Sep 2, 2001
US
I have a friend who has aquired a PC but as it is rather cluttered and grinds to a halt frequently I suggested we re-install Windows 98.

Problem is he does not have the original disk.

Is it possible to use my Windows 98 CD with his Product Key (obtained through his registry)?

Some people have told me I can but others say the key is unique to the disk.

What is the right answer as I don't want to wipe his HDD and not be able to get him running again?

Your first assumption is correct, but as your copy of Windows is licensed for use on just your computer, it would contravene copyright laws to install it on a second. If your friend had at some time actually purchased a copy of Windows, but has mislaid it, this could possibly be seen as an exception.
Your conscience must guide you here. My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my rather limited knowledge. Andy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back