Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 98 Differential Restore - NEED HELP - Server Crash!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerm

IS-IT--Management
Mar 8, 2001
US
Program: Windows 98 Backup
Problem:
Because our Server tape drive isn't big enough to all our data, I started backing up one server drive to two client computer hard drives using WIndows 98 Backup. The first time, I made a full backup, and in the following days I did differential backups to save time. Two days ago our server crashed and when I tried to restore from those backups, it only restored files that had been modified in the last three days. Though the backup files (QIC) are over 2 gigs in size, we can only restore 300 MB of it. How can I get the rest of the files restored? Is there any way?
thanks,
jerm

For differential backups you have to restore the full backup first, then the differential backup. This is call the Father-Son backup. You must have both backups for this to work. James P. Cottingham

Okay. Thanks, 2ffat, for the help... but I still have more questions then...

Maybe I did something wrong in the backup. You see, there is no other set than just the one. When I backed up the full drive I named it "MediaBackup" and then I just changed the setting to differential after that - I didn't change the name or anything else. So the differential was written with the same name.

Still, I wonder. How come the file is so big if it just wrote the differential part over the previous full backup. If the differential backups were only 300 MB big, the backup file should only be 300 MB big - not 2 gigs.

Did you append to the tape? On some backup software, you have to specify the name of the backup you want otherwise, it will retrieve the last backup set on the tape. Look at you BU software manuals to see how to retreive more that one backup set off a tape.

James P. Cottingham

You should restore from the one large backup you made then i believe there is an option to restore your latest differential files in BE over the first restoration...

keith630@mediaone.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back