Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 98 Clients having trouble logging on to W2k Server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmcny

Programmer
Feb 26, 2002
US
This is an intermittent problem but becoming more of a pain. Users try to log on to the network and get the error "The domain password you supplied is not correct, or access to your logon server has been denied. I know these passwords are correct even reset them. After multiple reboots, sometimes it will finally work. These are win98 clients, win2k server.

I did find the article Q260399 from Microsoft which deals with this problem with clients using IPX, which we do not use, we use TCP/IP only. I did try disabling directhost as recommended in the article but it only worked on two pcs, did not help on the other. It took me three hours to log on today finally after many reboots and resetting of the password I finally got it. Wouldn't accept my admin password either. Any ideas?? We are afraid to log off for fear we will never get back on.

Hi,

I've had this problem before - turned out to be bad WINS entries - can I suggest you edit/create the LMHOSTS file on a workstation and set up the server in it.

Also is DNS correctly resolving from these machines?

If this doesn't help you might want to a take a look at

HTH

Ash.

PS. Dumb question but you are using mixed-mode rather than native mode on the server?

Hello,

I am a network consultant and I have two different clients that have this same problem. They are both running MS Small Business Server 2000. Only the Windows 98 clients have this problem, the NT, 2000, XP clients do not have the problem. I have recreated the WINS database. I have created hosts and lmhosts files. I have called MS and gotten the fix referenced in Q272594. I have also tried some other things recommended by the MS support rep. None of these things have worked. The problem does not happen every time so it is difficult to troubleshoot. One thing that I have noticed that both of these clients have in common is that they both have disabled opportunistic locking because of specific applications that they are running. I would be curious to see if you have also disabled opportunistic locking. Please let me know. Or if anybody out there has other suggestions I'm willing to listen.

Thanks,
Rodney Mort
romort@hotmail.com

Thanks to those of you who replied. I wanted to give an update on how this was resolved. After calling support at Microsoft and getting the hot fixes for windows 98, I noticed a WINS replication error on my server event log. The reason for this error (after days of troubleshooting) was, I had a web server set to replicate WINS with another server on our network. A few weeks ago we had to reformat and reinstall Windows 2000 on our web server and never setup the replication back up. Once I set the web server to replicate, the error ceased and so did my login problems. Maybe this info will be useful to others having this problem. Thanks for you help!!

Here's a star for you lmcny. Good troubleshooting. I always check log files first. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"A person often meets his destiny on the road he took to avoid it."
Jean de La Fontaine (1621-1695); French poet.

im curious about where romort has taken this. i too have a client running sbs2K and win98, but no resolve yet. im wondering if i should bother getting that update or changing wins if it wont help. also, does the wins service even need to be running for <10 users?

I have not really gotten anywhere with finding a solution to this problem. The two clients of mine that have had this problem do not seem to be having it any more, or at least they have not mentioned it. Tombert3, have you disabled opportunistic locking on your server? I would be curious to know.

romort, no to your question. i guess one answer is to &quot;wait and see&quot; if that fixes it. i briefly read about what op-locking is, and i dont fully understand it. i guess they really dont need it disabled.

Just curious is either one of you running IPX on the work stations?

tombert3 and romort, I'm having this same problem, two computers (one Millennium and the other Win98) can't get logged in to the Win2k server (SBS2k). No one is running IPX. I hope this thread doesn't die out until someone finds an answer!

I noticed that hotfix for ME (referenced in Q272594) is dated 2000. Would that have been incorporated into a service pack by now?

Thanx a lot!
Cordy

One thing to check is that the machines have the active directory client install and that the DC is in the same site. Win98 client always try to authenticate to the pdc or the PDC emulator in W2K (which is why we have it) if it is on another site over a slow or unreliable link this would cause the problems you appear to be having. Mac [pipe]
MCP, MCSE (NT4), MCSE (W2K), CTT, MCT

Glad to be of service.

What happened to MS KNOWLEDGEBASE ARTICLE Q272594?
What did it say?

I've got the same problem. Its TCP/IP in a Win 98 machine on a WINDOWS 2000 Domain server. Every other client in the domain logs on. This machine refuses to accept any logon from any user. It always gives the &quot;access to your logon server has been denied.&quot; I tried reloading WIN 98. I tried changing the NIC. The network connection is certainly good since I can ping and browse to the server and the server can see the machine.

If it's only one machine, f-disk it and save yourself the aggrevation. If it's multiples, let us know. Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

[americanflag]

&quot;Uniformity is death, diversity is life.&quot;
Mikhail A. Bakunin (1814-1876); Russian writer and revolutionary.

I also have this issue on our network.

I recently upgraded from NT4.0 to 2000 Server. We do run IPX and thanks to this most of the users effected can still print etc. I know that tcp/ip works because the users can ping and get to notes which is on another NT4 box.

We didn't previously have WINS set up, but I have installed this since.

My network has been in pain since the upgrade.

I think most of it has to do with AD & DNS.

Also, my XP PC constantly says that the domain is unavailable but it still logs in and can access most recources. Again I think it is related to the above.

Cheers,

Pete

We are having the same problem however:

If I add a lmhosts with a line for domain controller on that site, clients do not log on.

if I add a lmhosts with a line for a domain controller on another site, Clients log on fine.

If i add netbeui to client and server, clients log on fine. this might explain why 'sgscit' can log in using ipx. this may be a tcp problem.

On a different site that has all 2000 clients, they constantly try to authenticate with DC's on other sites rather than the one on the same network.

this has happened to the last 2 installations on this domain. I am wondering whether it is anything to do with service pack 3! is any one having the same problem with sp2??

I don't trust sp3 yet personally. One thing to check is the nic on the servers in question. I had a brand new server come in, (Cost a small fortune!) and after a couple weeks, users were having trouble authenicating. After a few times trying, they would get in. Got worse until they couldn't authenticate at all. Stumbled across the fact that the nic in the server was going bad, and it got worse as it sent out more bad broadcasts. Just a thought, happened to me. Glen A. Johnson
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

[americanflag]

&quot;Imagination is more important than knowledge.&quot;
Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955) Physicist and mathematician.

I wish so much that I had the technical background or experience to understand what is written here.

I am troubleshooting a similar problem on a network that I am responsible for. There is no budget for IT, and I am a network novice.

I have a 12 computers &quot;clients?&quot; all running Win98 on a server that is running WIN2K Server. The problem started on one computer. But now 3 have it. When trying to log on to the network I get a Domain server not available error message. Sometimes one of the computers will suddenly &quot;find&quot; network resources eg Internet connection. But, most often I cannot get on through these &quot;workstations?&quot;. Is there a place that I can get PLAIN ENGLISH step by step instruction as to what to do?

Try putting a hosts and lmhosts file in the pc's. You shouldn't need it, but since your a novice, it's the easiest thing to do. Good luck. Glen A. Johnson
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

[americanflag]

&quot;Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.&quot;
Gilbert Keith Chesterton (1874-1936); English writer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back