Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 98 clients do not show in Console after GRC.dat file copy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olliecat

IS-IT--Management
Oct 18, 2001
US
I have set up the NAV SSC on a WindowsXP server. If I install the managed corporate client on XP and Windows 98 workstations, they appear in the console. If I try to convert an unmanaged client to a managed one by copying GRC.DAT file to the appropriate place, XP clients appear in the console (after reboot or restart of services) but Windows 98 clients do not, even after rebooting and waiting 24 hours. When I view NAV on these Windows 98 clients, they appear locked and part of the managed system and their definitions are updated, but they just do not show up in the console.

If I uninstall the NAV from these workstations and then do a fresh managed install, they will show up in the console and will be fully functional, but I am wondering why the GRC.dat copy does not work.

Has anyone else experienced this or should I just quite while I am ahead? Thanks!!

Drop the GRC file in the appropriate location, reboot the 9x client. If the client does not appear in the console clear the cache on the console. If not, you may need to re-nstall on 9x. Keep in mind NT-based systems are more advanced in terms of networking ability and when it comes to network apps function better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back