Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows 98 can't detect my modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

sno37c

Technical User
Jun 23, 2004
CA
I bought a Compaq Armada 1700 second hand. It came with windows xp pro, which was very slow and took up almost all the hard drive, so I formatted C drive and installed windows 98. For some reason it will not detect my modem, it worked fine with xp pro. The big problem is all I know about the modem is that it is a compaq. I even tried installing windows 95(to see if it would detect a modem) but that was a no go, Please Help!!!

You'll have to pull the modem out to try and identify it. Look for a model number and manufacturer name. Go to driverguide.com, and search their database for drivers. Login drivers, password all. You may need winzip to decompress the drivers, depending on how they were uploaded.

Compaq used to have drivers for hardware at compaq.com, where you only needed to know the model of your compaq. That may or may not still be the case.

If you're still stuck, post back with what you found, also, does windows even show the device in device manager? Probably has a yellow or red flag, but let me know.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Hello,
. Assuming that your modem is a PCMCIA device, Did you look in Device Manager to see if the PCMCIA card slot(s) are listed and clean (no little exclamation marks, etc.). You may have to install support for them before anything you put in there would be recognized.
. If it is a serial modem, then that's another kettle O' fish...
.bh.

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. -- Thomas Paine.

I forgot this: I think PCMCIA drivers are kind of like USB. Normally you install the drivers before inserting the card.
.bh.

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. -- Thomas Paine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back