Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 98 and DNS

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBONGIOVANO

Programmer
Jan 17, 2003
US
Ok I have a site that is in two different locations. Both have windows 2000 and 98 clients
The dns server (Windows 2000) is at 192.168.2.5. I am running an apache webserver also at that site 192.168.2.100. I configured DNS to point to "interweb" ( the name of the webserver)
All clients at this site can see the web page both by ip and
host name "interweb" when they enter it into their
IE address bar.

At the other site, 10 miles down the road. in the 192.168.1.x netmask. All Windows 2000 clients can see the web server but I have to put 192.168.2.5 FIRST in the DNS search order. This has proved to work fine "interweb" and ip address work fine. However I cannot get the Windows 98 machines to resolve "interweb" I can see the site via Ip address. I have entered 192.168.2.5 in the network properties under DNS. I have tried looking all over the web. I appreciate any and all help.

George

Just a small thing, are you trying the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) of interweb i.e. interweb.company.com or whatever the domain name is in the web browser rather than just the server name (interweb). Also, can you ping the FQDN? If not, is it resolving the address and timing out or is it coming back bad ip address?

If you use a proxy server to get out to the internet, it might be worth checking the exceptions box in IE > Tools > Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings > Advanced. Make sure your company.com domain name is in the exceptions box.

Cheers, Antony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back