Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows 95 wont load!

Status
Not open for further replies.

99mel

Programmer
Oct 18, 1999
GB
The computer boots up as normal... trys to load windows 95 and before the desktop is loaded a message box pops up saying

'There is a problem with iexplorer.exe

Please shutdown and re-install'

something like that anyhoo! after you press Ok it simply turns off! (displays a message telling you its safe to turn off).

Is there a boot up disk available to fix any known problems that are like this?

cheers 4 any help!!

More info please...Was there any changes made to this PC recently? Was it working just fine up till this point? Can you boot into Safe mode? If you cannot, then something bad happened to the system files, and you may to use a boot disk which has some helpful utilities.

you can obtain a boot up disk from download.com, For the os, choose 98 or me, since you will need cdrom supprot and the windows 95 boot disk does not contain drivers for it.
I sounds like iexplorer is totally cooked and a reinstall should fix this problem.
[cheers]
fedto

how dya get into safe mode again from boot up? one of the function keys at the start?

cheers 4 the info!! not sure what has happened recently as its not mine.. think its just messed up somehow!

is there a repair facility on the windows 95 cd? if i try and boot up on the cd?

To get into Safe Mode, hold down the f8 key on bootup, after the BIOS information but BEFORE the Windows splash screen. If you can boot into Safe Mode, run a Scandisk and make sure to select the "thorough" type.

New computer without OS.
98 loaded once after many many attempts. Tried to load office 2000, now it prompts me for a password (I did not evter one ever)Clicking OK sends me an illegal operation shut down etc. Cancel doesn't work.
Tried to load XP, formatted another partition....says that C drive is corrupt.
Help....

I would recommend, if you know someone with the same OS as you just go to their pc and copy the fil that reports the error on to disk, boot your pc in dos mode and cop the file drom the disk onto your pc overwritting the old file,if it is the iexplorer.exe giving hassles it could be a corrupt installation of internet explorer, so try and get a copy of iexplorer.exe and explorer.exe from someon elses pc and overwrite the files on your pc in dos mode

good luck
SMILY1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back