Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows 95 not shuts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 23, 2002
IL
Im using win 95 in my network.sometimes some computers not shut down and i get the massege "please wait while your computer shuts down ".It's olnly happens using network conections.Im lokking for utill or any other tip

Try checking to see if any application or a program interferes with the shutdown...
Maybe the problem is from the server side and not the client side...is it only always some paticula comp. or are they diff. comp. at times?? I have not failed; I merely found 100,000 different ways of not succeding...

I've seen this a lot of times, and I've traced it to being a TCP/IP conflict. I once set up twelve machine in a day, and this problem didn't occur until I loaded TCP/IP :-(

I found a strange but effective way to get around it; this works in about 80% of cases:

Boot up and catch it on the system menu. Select Command Prompt Only (option 6, I think) and when it's booted to the prompt, type WIN. Log in as normal, but hold down SHIFT to stop any applications running automatically. As soon as the machine has got to the desktop, shut down (NOT Restart!). Then, boot up the machine as normal.

I don't know why this works, only that it does (like I said, in about 80% of cases)

I have seen this problem time after time and have solved it as well... Often you will find that if you are using TCP/IP over the network card, that the system hangs on shutdown. Try obtaining the latest driver software for your network cards, as many manufacturers have addressed this problem. However be aware that 3Com 3C509a, 3C509b, 3C509 Combo and 3C905 cards seem to still have issues. It may be worth investing in some new cheap NIC's and seeing whether that helps, but inevitably the driver is holding the TCP/IP ports open and windows cannot force them to close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back