Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 8 Pro reinstall

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsfcs

IS-IT--Management
May 2, 2013
US
Hey folks,

I'm feeling really stupid, but I need some advice on this. My client has a Lenovo ThinkPad S230u laptop/tablet, on which the hard drive has gone bad. I've ordered the replacement hard drive, no problem. However, I am trying to figure out the best way to reinstall windows 8 Pro on the thing.

My client does not have an installation CD, and there is no evidence of a license key sticker on the machine, so I initially thought I would have to spend $200 and re-purchase a copy of Windows. However, I called up Microsoft, and the lady there suggested I would not have to re-purchase. She was saying that when I inserted the new, blank hard drive, the machine would somehow recognize that Windows 8 had been on it, and the installation would proceed from there.

This seems completely bogus to me- is there any way this can be correct? I can believe that they could embed a Windows 8 license key into the BIOS somewhere, but wouldn't you still need installation media? You could download the Windows as an ISO file, but if the tablet doesn't have an OS on it, how is it supposed to connect to the Internet to download the ISO?

Either the lady is wrong, or else there are some new concepts I need to understand- any insight would be greatly welcome. Thanks :)

-David

Can you contact Lenova Support, they probably have a replacement Recovery CD to install Windows. This is quite a common occurrence that manufacturers plan for when a hard drive goes bad. There will be a charge for the Recovery CD no doubt. That is if your Laptop has a DVD/CD otherwise you might need the files via USB.

That's a possibility that I may try, but a download would be better- I'd have to wait for a CD to ship, and I've already had the guy's machine for a week.

See if there is that option via Lenova. Probably you are going to have to go via Lenova.

You can look at this option but it is going to require a lot of Drivers and probably software to be obtained from Lenovas in any case.

How to Create or Download a Windows 8 Upgrade ISO

How to clean install Windows 8

Windows 8 Upgrade: clean install possible?

How To Clean Install Windows 8 Pro Upgrade
Start a Clean Install Using an Upgrade Licensed Copy of Windows 8 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back