Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 8 is an unacceptable security risk ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yawn.....
usual hyperbole.
So How about that Android phone you have, where Google has remote access, or that idevice you own?
He bleats how terrible secureboot is.
Well he's how you stop it.
Go into BIOS. Turn Off.

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

I quote (ok a few years old):

In cases where users may have installed a malicious application that poses a threat, we’ve also developed technologies and processes to remotely remove an installed application from devices. If an application is removed in this way, users will receive a notification on their phone.
So you were saying?

and many, many other sources.

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

So you were saying?
Nothing, I was simply gobsmacked by the information, totally unbelievable. Another reason to add to the many of why I don't have a mobile phone!

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

Free Dance Music Downloads

It's nothing unusual - from the Microsoft Windows 7 Professional EULA:

"...6. POTENTIALLY UNWANTED SOFTWARE. If turned on, Windows Defender will search your computer for “spyware,” “adware” and other potentially unwanted software. If it finds potentially unwanted software, the software will ask you if you want to ignore, disable (quarantine) or remove it. Any potentially unwanted software rated “high” or “severe,” will automatically be removed after scanning unless you change the default setting. Removing or disabling potentially unwanted software may result in
· other software on your computer ceasing to work, or
· your breaching a license to use other software on your computer.
By using this software, it is possible that you will also remove or disable software that is not potentially unwanted software

...Malicious Software Removal. During setup, if you select “Get important updates for installation”, the software may check and remove certain malware from your computer. “Malware” is malicious software. If the software runs, it will remove the Malware listed and updated at During a Malware check, a report will be sent to Microsoft with specific information about Malware detected, errors, and other information about your computer. This information is used to improve the software and other Microsoft products and services. No information included in these reports will be used to identify or contact you. You may disable the software’s reporting functionality by following the instructions found at For more information, read the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool privacy statement at go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=113995..."

I love the "During setup, if you select “Get important updates for installation”, the software may check and remove certain malware from your computer." It's a "When did you stop beating your wife?" sort of situation.

Even just setting up Windows 7 with "important updates for installation" spies on your PC and cleans it of "malware", which may result in " ...other software on your computer ceasing to work, or
· your breaching a license to use other software on your computer.
By using this software, it is possible that you will also remove or disable software that is not potentially unwanted software...
...a report will be sent to Microsoft with specific information about Malware detected, errors, and other information about your computer..."

If you opt to use Microsoft Security Essentials in Windows 7 for antivirus security as well, then exactly the same situation as Windows Defender on Windows 8 exists on the machine.

It does not bother me - I use MSE on 7 and WD on 8 in preference to 3rd party anti-malware, but I know that somewhere on a database in Redmond, my details lurk, and if a suitably qualified state official needed to examine the records, they could, and would.

What also does not bother me is my anonymity, here or elsewhere online, but I worry about some folk who are just so transparent, yet seem to feel so invulnerable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back