Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 8 & 8.1 start menu 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGreatAndMerciless

Technical User
Apr 12, 2007
I have tried several of the Windows 8 start menu offerings, both paid and freeware versions and have found that none of them can compare with the freeware start menu from Classic Shell. ( It gives you the choice of three different versions, from the old classic style with one or two columns to the Windows 7 style. I have been using the Single column Classic Style since its inception in Windows 95. When you use it with Windows 8 the desktop will be shown on startup and you can also get rid of a lot of useless crap offered by the idiots who came up with the GUI for Windows 8. Using this excellent start menu offering, and it truly is an offering as it is freeware, one will not know whether the OS is XP, Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8. If it were not for this program I would still be using an older version of Windows as I thoroughly dislike the Windows 7 offering and the entire lack of a start menu in Windows 8. I recommend it highly and would gladly pay for it if it was being sold rather than being offered as freeware.

and you can also get rid of a lot of useless crap offered by the idiots who came up with the GUI for Windows 8"
I use it.....Do you have something against the Romper Room and Fisher Price gangs who actually like the normal 8 desktop? [dazed]

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
Popular Mechanics, 1949

Windows 8.1 if set up to do so, will launch to the Desktop instead of the Start Screen. It can be done via Taskbar/Properties/Navigation.

and you can also get rid of a lot of useless crap offered by the idiots who came up with the GUI for Windows 8"
I use it.....Do you have something against the Romper Room and Fisher Price gangs who actually like the normal 8 desktop?

I have nothing against anyone whose opinions differ from mine. I simply offered my opinion and the solution I found to work around what I consider a flawed GUI that masks the worth of a very good operating system. No doubt there are others who share my view of this issue who may also benefit from being informed of what I consider the result a very worthwhile effort to overcome the lack of a reasonable start menu. Classic Shell may fall into the wide range running from loathing it to loving it. I love it, others may not. Take it or leave it, I don't care. I can only row my own boat.

Sorry, I sounded like I use use the 8 GUI, I also use the ClassicShell, no Fisher Price flawed GUI atmosphere on my desktop.

g

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
Popular Mechanics, 1949

I agree with the op about ClassicShell, a great improvement over what MS put out in Win8. And I think Fischer-Price is giving the Metro GUI the benefit of the doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back