Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 8.1 shell32.dll icons

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGreatAndMerciless

Technical User
Apr 12, 2007
In all past versions of windows (Windows 95 through Windows 8) I have been able to change a few of the icons in shell32.dll. However, when I change any or just one of the icons in shell32.dll in Windows 8.1 the OS will not boot until I re-install the original unchanged version of shell32.dll. Does anyone know how to alter one or more of the icons in shell32.dll in Windows 8.1 and get windows to accept the altered file and run with it?

Do you have any problem just changing a file icon the normal way via right-clicking and selecting Properties and choosing the "Change icon" button and browsing to C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll?

I can't find a lot of information on this but you are probably running foul of Windows 8 File Protection.

Windows 8 security system using File Protection

About Windows Resource Protection

Do you have any problem just changing a file icon the normal way via right-clicking and selecting Properties and choosing the "Change icon" button and browsing to C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll?
I can't find a lot of information on this but you are probably running foul of Windows 8 File Protection."

Thanks for your effort Linney. A change of icon situation you describe is not my problem. Yes, I can simply change an icon by having a different icon in shell32.dll referenced. What I am talking about is actually changing one or more icons withing shell32.dll itself. It's the only way one can actually change the icons in a start menu. A traditional classic start menu containing, "Programs, Settings, Search, Help & Support, Run & Shut Down". I have been able to do this in any shell32.dll from Windows 95 through Windows 8, but Windows 8.1 balks at any change of the icons by not allowing Windows to boot. Somewhere, somehow there's a workaround but I have not been able to discover what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back