Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 8.1 randomly drops mapped network drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

MockY

Programmer
Jul 7, 2006
MACHINES

File Server: Windows 2003 Server
Domain Controller: Windows 2003 Server
Client: Windows 8.1 Pro

PROBLEM

The client is not a part of the domain which the file server and obviously the domain controller are. The mapped drives are added on the client using DOMAIN\User (along with password).

Every morning when coming into the office, I have to reboot my machin ein order to get my mapped drives back. This is very annoying. The same issue when I log in remotely (using RDP) when working at night. I have to then reboot the machine in order to gain access to my mapped drives.
It seems at random, my mapped drives (residing on the file server) goes away. It has happened once while I was actively working on the client. But daily the above issue occurs.

I'm at a loss to what to try. Most issues I've seen are related to mapped drives disappears when the machine is rebooted, but my issue is reversed, so those fixes I've tried that has been suggested do not apply or work.

Any help in finding a solution to the very annoying problem is greatly welcomed.

Side Note: Windows XP and Windows 7 machine do not have this issue and they add the mapped drives in exactly the same way.

Is one of your DNS servers on the problem computer set to the server IP address? If not, try that. Reboot after change.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Since the file server is not a DNS server, browsing the internet will probably break. I vaguly remember doing this (setting the only DNS server on the problem machine to point to the file server). I will refresh my memory by trying that again. Keep in mind that both Windows 7 and Windows XP machones have no issues at all, and they are not pointing their DNS server to the Fileserverver.

I'll keep that in mind now that I KNOW it. It wasn't mentioned in your first post, but that would be standard that it would not be set that way.

Can you give output of IPCONFIG /ALL for problem machine and non-problem machine. Or if you don't want to post that - any glaring differences?

Anything funky in the HOSTS file?

For ProxyPirate, that might be the case, but for the OP, doesn't sound like it applies since other XP and Win7 workstations are fine.

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

You should really start a new thread instead of re-opening/hijacking this ancient thread.

I finally pointed the primary DNS on the Win 8 machine to the domain controller (and not the file server) and added Google as second (8.8.8.8). In the month that has passed since, not once have the drives dropped. I assume this is "solved".

I believe that was my suggestion above. Client computers should have their (ONLY) DNS server listed as the server if only one server exists. If you had your client pointed at a server that was NOT the domain controller and it still didn't work, then you have a DNS problem BETWEEN your servers, otherwise it should have worked.

Adding a second (exterior) DNS is only needed if you think that all your DNS servers will be down and this will keep your clients surfing the internet in that case. It is not advised to add this second entry to client computers however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back