Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 8.1 audio problems on some sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

vfp9guy

Programmer
Jan 16, 2008
CA
I recently purchased an Asus M32 series desktop with Windows 8.1
I have 2 monitors - main using HDMI cable, second is VGA

I have defaulted my audio to RealTek High Definition Audio.

I get good audio watching streaming videos (e.g., from TVmuse, Vodlocker) and some TV Websites that have a few shows.
However, I can't get any audio watching anything on YouTube, and a few other news sites.

My browser is IE 11

I have tried many things from other forums ... no luck.
Any suggestions ?

Roy

When you look at the Playback tab under Sound settings, do you see more than one device listed (other than Realtek)? If so, right-click all other entries and disable them. For some reason, it may not be properly defaulting to the Realtek device for some applications. At least that's what it sounds like.

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Thanks ... just tried that ... same thing.
(I disabled the AMD audio)

The RealTek volume indicator on that tab is actively reflecting the audio ... just no speaker sound.

Roy

Just out of curiosity, have you tried a different browser? Perhaps install Chrome and see if it has the same issues.

Also back in the Sound settings, highlight the Realtek entry and click Configure. Make sure Stereo is selected (temporarily change it as a test if that's not the default). Continue stepping through the wizard and click Finish. Back in the Sound window, click Properties this time. Make sure everything looks correct under all the tabs. If that checks out and the above suggestion doesn't help, then please describe how your speakers are connected to the system (rear 3.5mm jack, monitor built-in, PC built-in speaker, etc.)

What is the sound like if you use headphones?

No sound on Youtube Videos in any browser [Solved]

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting\Hardware and Sound.

Under Playback Devices, accessed via right-click on the Volume Icon, What entries do you have there, make sure you see all sound devices? I have both Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconnected Devices ticked, this allows you to see all options. Those options are visible via right-clicking on the Playback Devices page. Make sure you have the correct device set as the default sound output.

vfp9guy said:
I have tried many things from other forums ... no luck.

Can you at least briefly describe exactly what you tried? You don't have to list all steps, but at least a list of what you actually tried, so no one tries to duplicate here.

Here's an idea just to try and make sure no issues regarding HDMI. ONLY use the VGA monitor and standard audio out - does the issue still exist? If no, then you can verify that the issue could at least have something to do with HDMI usage. For instance, some graphics card drivers can give rather odd results with HDMI, and other work perfectly well. I've had issues with some that were supposed to work but didn't (though I will admit they were pretty old cards).

Something else to consider trying is the ASIO4All driver:

I wouldn't necessarily say it'll fix your issue, but I've had issues with editing audio with different sound cards installed where the audio editor wouldn't seem to grab the correct driver/connection that I wanted to work with. After I installed asio4all, I was able to force the application to use the correct driver/connection. (In my case, it was a Yamaha digital soundboard over USB vs Creative Labs Audigy PCI Soundcard).

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Maybe this info will help...

My windows 8.1 has 2 Monitors:
Main monitor connected with an HDMI cable
Second monitor uses a VGA cable.
--------------------

Device Manager (Sound, Video and Game controllers) shows these:
AMD High Definition Audio Device
Properties:
Driver - Advanced Micro Devices ver 9.0.0.9905
General says "This device is working properly"
Realtek High Definition Audio
Driver - Provider -Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Version 6.0.1.7213
Digital Signer - Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher
General says "This device is working properly"
-------------------
Realtek HD Audio Manager settings:
Configuration - 5.1 speakers is selected; center and side pair selected
Test both Side speakers - good audio
No sound effects selected
No equalizer settings
No room correction
-------------------
Sound Settings (2 show up):
1-FHX2300
AMD High Definition Audio Device -
disabled

Speakers -
Realtek High Definition Audio
Default Device (checked)
All levels set at 41
The right-side thermometer bar follows the audio correctly
Configure shows 5.1 Surround
Test gives correct results for both Side speakers.
-------------------
I get good audio in some websites for some TV Station News and TV shows on those websites.
I get no audio in some websites for some TV Station News and TV shows on those websites.

I get good Audio with Streaming video from TVmuse links (e.g., VODlocker, VidBull)
I get NO audio from YouTube videos.

I get no audio for videos from the XBMC I had installed.
(I tried installing both 13.2 Gotham and Kodi-14.2-Helix_beta1)
-----------------------

... does this help?
Roy

It's provides more detail, so yes it helps. Have you had a chance to try any of the additional suggestions made above? Also, do you have 6 speakers connected to your PC? If not, change the Realtek configuration to match your speaker configuration. It should be set to Stereo if you only have two speakers, for example.

Hi, try to reinstall all audio drivers and go to realtek offical page and download the latest driver that is compatabile with your pc.
I hope this will work for you ;)

really interesting topic. useful and free info to help in future :)

The links Linney posted are a good start....if you make the HDMI default...do you get sound then? some drivers make the HDMI the side or back speakers and not the front that you need

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back