Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 7 Update Settings Altered

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooda

IS-IT--Management
May 14, 2001
GB
It appears that Microsoft insist you should do Windows 7 updates when they want to. Setting it to "check for updates but let me choose...." will not stay at that if I do not choose to install any. It changes to "install automatically" and then proceeds to do so. Anyone know how to prevent this?

I diable Windows Update using Services. Then, when I want to do an update, I enable Windows Update and start the program. When the update is done, I once again disable Windows Update.

==================================
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was - Steven Wright

Thanks John. I was hoping someone would have a registry tweak, but it seems there is no dependency on registry settings. I may have to set an alarm to remind me to do updates, and perhaps build a script to do the disable/enable as I'm bound to forget it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back