Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 7 starter - SP2 update error code 80246007

Status
Not open for further replies.

stduc

Programmer
Nov 26, 2002
GB
Lenovo Ideas pad - Windows 7 starter - I decided I may as well update to SP1 so allowed the update. It downloaded and installed for a bit then failed with error code 80246007

I followed the advise and checked network settings. I rebooted - It sat for a long time "configuring windows" and on finally rebooting offered the update again but now the download doesn't even start.

I have had a good search on the net but no one seems to have a definitive answer or anything that strikes me as worth attempting.

Ideas anyone? Am I bothered?

stduc,

download the standalone SP installer and start it manually, not over Windows Update...

that is basically what I gather from all the reads that I've done...

you probably seen this post by Stinger7018:

or this one:

Windows Update Error Code 0×80246007

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Have you tried cleaning out your Temp folder, you can do it by typing %temp% in the Start Menu RUN box. This will open your Temp folder, there you can delete everything that Windows will allow you to do so.

It may be necessary to show Both Hidden and System Files, and also to uncheck "Hide known file types" in Control Panel/ Folder Options/ View, to navigate to the mentioned Temp location.

If you download the full install of SP1, try right-clicking on the actual Setup.exe and selecting the "Run As Administrator" option? Do so even if your user is an Admin.

Stop the usual anti virus and other real time scanners from running during the install too.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Try it first by not checking either box (this will run it in a Read-only mode) to see if it flags any hard drive or file problems. If it does, restart it by ticking both boxes, and rerun it to allow it to attempt to fix any found problems.

Thanks for the advice - I fell down some steps today - old age you know! So I'll give that a bash tomorrow.

[navy]When I married "Miss Right" I didn't realise her first name was 'always'. LOL[/navy]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back