Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 7 Search

Status
Not open for further replies.

timtim1234

Technical User
May 22, 2014
CA
Does anyone know the reason why, in Windows 7, usually on a network drive, that when a search is performed it takes forever and many times does not return what is being looked for. Ex. I just did a search for a directory located at O:\Software\GOC\Martins_Criminal_Code_of_Canada - using search criteria of *criminal* from O:\Software. The search has gone on for approximately 10 minutes (the network drive does not have that much data on it), and has yet to find the directory. The green search bar is also at the end.

This happens frequently but when I do the exact same search on XP, it finds it instantly. If anyone has an explanation or a way to correct this, it would be appreciated.

Thanks

I agree and it made me mad, but apparently it can be tweaked.
Link

But I just replaced it with a paid program that makes searching just like XP in terms of effectiveness.
Link

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

The one thing that works for me is to search from the start menu and not from a folder in explorer. Searching from the start menu searches the entire system. Searching from explorer limits the search to the folder.

One thing that really bugs me is searching inside files works sporadically.

Tom

When you just need filename (full or partial) searches, the freeware program "Everything" is hard to beat in terms of speed and simplicity, if you have NTFS volumes.

Here is the FAQ:

Since the program merely searches the MFT entries (I was told), not the files on the storage volume, it is lightning fast, but of course will not search for file content.

I use AgentRansack freeware for Win 7 searches - seems to work well...

Beir bua agus beannacht!

I just use the cmd prompt and dir/s and pipe the output to a file. Not as pretty but it is a lot faster than the explorer methods or third party tools. You could leave it on the screen but that is slower than piping to a file.

Thanks for all the great responses, I think i'll try a third party software. Win 7 search just doesnt do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back