Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 7 requires NTFS flash drive for backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelljack

Technical User
Dec 23, 2001
US
Hi all. I have 3.3 ghz pc with 8gb ram and win 7 pro. In reading up on the backup option it states the backup disk/flash drive, etc. should be NTFS.

I have some questions regarding this matter.

First, Is backup the same as a boot disk? I read the options between FAT32 and NTFS, and NTFS gets all system files, where FAT32 only gets the other files.

secondly, I have a 32GB flash drive and need to know how I can format it to NTFS without downloading third party software. I should be able to use the command prompt and type in the commands right from my pc but I'm not sure what the commands are, so I need help with this.

Thirdly, if I get this all backed up and I need to boot from the flash drive will that work or do I need to make a boot drive? If so, how? What are the commands to do this?

Thanks in advance. I look forward to your helps.

Ok, NTFS and FAT32, are types of formatting for the drive, it has nothing to do with backups. But if it's a limitation of the backup software, well, whatever, never heard of this. But to format the drive to NTFS, that's no problem, and you don't need to make a boot disk, you need a system repair disk. Which can be created under "all programs","Maintenance","create a system repair disk".

Now to format the USB drive as NTFS, just click start,after the USB drive is plugged in, click computer, and find the USB drive, and right click it, choose format, and use the drop down menu to change it to NTFS.

Also, if this is say the HP, or Toshiba backup tool, it is bootable, and no need to create the emergency repair disk, but it's still a good idea to have one, as it can repair a system that won't boot.

Backup/repair disk/recovery disk - not the same as stated. Create a system repair disk (one DVD) from Windows and then see if your PC has a "create recovery disk" option. That is usually 3 to 5 DVDs that will put the machine back just like the day you bought it. HPs often have these. I would create both.

For backup. Please don't rely on one flash drive for data backup. They are not as reliable as you'd like to think. If you're going to use a flash drive, at least use two and rotate them. Personally I wouldn't trust them as my ONLY form of backup. They can just stop working one day with no warning. I like to think of them as today's floppy disks, i.e. less reliable than a DVD.

I thought our little wild time had just begun.

Well, the new HP's actually have the ability to make the recovery set on a single flash drive, and not need all the dvd's. but it needs to be at least 16GB, as the restore image is about 13.5GB. When you go into the recovery application, it will have you choose what type of media, cd,dvd,flash drive.

Do you really trust a flash drive for that vs. a DVD?

nope, I made both, because you know, you can never have too many backups, just not enough. Plus it was for my step mom, so I keep the the dvd's at my house, because she will loose the flash drive.

Flash drives are NOT tools of the devil, but I think people have a higher degree of confidence in them than they should. They use only the cheapest memory in those devices, the number of writes to them is limited AND they are prone to mechanical damage (soldering joint) due to stress caused physical insertion/removal.

I knew one person that kept their data on a flash drive and attached it to their key chain. It routinely would get dropped and banged around, throwing it down on a desk and having it clang on the steering column while driving. Great environment to save your "password drive" as he called it.

I have a 32gb drive (generic, house-brand) that NEEDS to be re-formatted approx. every 6-8 months because Windows seems to think the drive is write-protected somehow. After the re-format, it works fine again.

Dan

Live every day as if wild dogs were chasing you!!
Wild dogs....everyday....LIVE!!!

Thanks all. I'm getting CDs.

No replies needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back