Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows 7 not showing 2 CPUs (pentium 4) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jared5494

Technical User
Jun 9, 2002
US
When going to task manager in XP, it always showed 2 CPUs for a Pentium 4 (3.6 GHz Prescott). I tried doing the same in Windows 7 and its just showing one CPU.

* I tried going to View > CPU History but the only option is greyed out (one graph per CPU).

* When going to msconfig > boot > advanced options, under number of processors, all I see is one.

I know technically a P4 doesn't have 2 cores, one is just virtualized. I am just making sure i shouldn't be seeing the 2nd CPU in task manager/msconfig.

system specs:

Asus P52AD2-E Premium Motherboard
Intel 3.6 GHz Prescott Processor

Thanks for any insight!
-Jared

In the following forum thread, someone linked to yet another thread, where they mentioned using MSCONFIG to tweak related settings. Might be worth checking into:

Here's the thread referenced in the above link:

Do you think that it may have gotten disabled accidentally, while tweaking something else? Have you used/tried using any 3rd party system tweaking programs?

You may be able to get the desired results from something like Tweak7.

I found the issue. i had ACPI 2.0 enabled on my motherboard, but somehow the ACPI APIC support hadn't been enabled. I turned that on and Windows 7 instantly recognized it and everything is running substantially better.

thanks kjv1611 for your help! it is greatly appreciated.

Glad you found the solution, and thanks for posting back with what fixed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back