Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 7 - .NET Framwork 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

boston33

MIS
Jan 9, 2005
US
Hello,

I am a customer service rep. I support a medical application. I am working for a client that uses Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. Our medical application seems to have problems with .NET Framework 3.0 & .NET Framework 3.5. In the short term, we have just removed it from Add/Remove programs. Recently, I heard that you can't do this with Win 7 Pro 64 bit? Is this true? If I remove .NET Framework 3.0 from Windows 7, will there be problems with the OS? Thanks for your help.

Any problems most likely would not be caused to the operating system which does come with those .Net Framework applications preinstalled, but to applications that rely on .Net to be running. If an application cannot find .Net it will usually request for it to be downloaded.

I don't think it is therefore possible to uninstall the earlier version of .Net that are included in Windows 7 via the usual Program and Features section. You can sort of uninstall, more like disabling, by going in to Control Panel/ Programs and Features/ Turn Windows Features on or off/ and uncheck .NET Framework 3.5.1. Later .Net such as version 4 can be uninstalled the usual way as they are not included in Windows 7 initially or by default and are later downloads.

Wrong way around: Upgrade/fix the app so it can run on .NET 3.x or later. This is most likely caused by being a .NET 1.1 app, wich means IMHO it's quite badly maintained, and should *really* be upgraded (to .NET 3.5 or later).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back