Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 7 Indexing Options: Controlling When it Indexes

Status
Not open for further replies.

000jamie000

Technical User
Sep 9, 2011
US
Hello everyone!

Windows 7 Indexes my Microsoft Outlook, but it does it during the worst possible times thereby crippling my ability to get work done. Does anyone know how to get Windows 7 to do this at a more convenient time? Maybe at midnight?

Thank you.

Just an FYI or reminder: You can also just hit your Start button, the type index.

That works for LOADS of control panel items, applications, etc.

If you type index, the first item listed within a second or two, usually, is Indexing Options.

Same thing for Computer/System Propterties.. just hit Start and type system. For Power Options... type power and so on...

Some of that, at least, works the same in Vista, if not 100% the same.

Do you need the Indexing feature, are the milliseconds it saves on searching really worth the headache?

in my case it was not, so I turned off the indexing service, and unchecked all partitions to be excluded from indexing...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

I would agree about turning off indexing. I do it on virtually every computer I touch. If you have a slower computer, it's like dragging an anchor behind your boat in terms of performance and for little benefit.

On newer machines, or machines with decent hardware built in the past even 5 or 6 years, I've not noticed the Index being all that big a deal in Win7. Now Windows Search 4.0 on a Windows XP box is a whole different ballgame.

The index makes all the nifty stuff in the start menu work like it does... where you can think of what you're looking for and just start typing... whether it be an app, doc, email, whatever, it may show up - depends upon what it is, details on your system, and how often you use/reference that app/file..

But that's just my opinion. I've tried with and without the index a few times, and didn't notice enough benefit... no Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad, and at least one Core ix system..

I still live in an 85% XP world, so that's where I'm at - killing off Google Desktop, Windows Search 4.0 and regular indexing to save horsepower on those powerhouse Pentium 2.8GHz machines........

Vista seems to suffer badly from indexing's parasitic horsepower losses.

Yeah, I can see that for sure on XP. I think someone above the helpdesk folks determined that everyone needed Windows Search 4.0 on XP. I was SO sad when it showed up on my XP pc. Thankfully, I'm on Win7 now, as they are slowly but surely moving everyone in that direction, and I just love it. The indexing, I'm sure, uses some resources, but I don't think I notice any lag - sometimes indexed items don't refresh as quickly as I'd like, but it's not affecting system performance.

Oh, and yeah, if it's a P4 machine, then for sure you'd have to squeeze every ounce possible. My machine is running a Core 2 Duo here at work - it's an E6600, so it's not the latest design for sure, but it's still pretty good. I've got 4 GB of Ram, but running 32bit Windows, as that's standard here, so I don't get to take advantage of all 4.

So I can't complain - I was hoping for a new PC when I swapped to a different area a year ago, but I did at least get a bump up, even if the hardware has to be at least 4 years old. [smile]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back