Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 7 Home edition on Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougP

MIS
Dec 13, 1999
US
Ok I see now why trying to save moeny buy home edition as w huge mistake. I was not involved in the decision
anyway I am hoping to get around it.
Someone created a bat file that connects them but the shared folder says empty contents nothing shows up.

If I click the start button and type \\servername in the search box, an explorer window pops up and shows everything just fine.

So can I make some type of bat file or scrip that does the same thing as typing \\servername in the search box?
then perhaps cd foldername\foldername2 etc
so I can create a few of these for the teachers to get directly.
the following does not work, if I name it go.bat and double click it it justs open notepad in edit mode
like so
Code:
\\servername
cd folder\folder2

DougP

Don't know if this will work or not. It should, but who knows (also take a look at the net use command. net use /? lists all the options.)

net use d: \\servername\folder or
net use d: \\servername\folder\folder2

you will propably have to supply a user name and password. Again, do a net use /? for help.

Go to the command prompt first so you can see the output of net /?

Sorry, but you're really not going to get this to work well with Home version. Password management is going to be a nightmare.

BTW these are laptops using wireless.
JordanCNm, it already is a nightmare!

PRPhx, actually they already have a bat file which does exactly that and has the login and password. Problem is it works in the morning and then later they are disconnected then it won't work. if it is re-run it says those resources are in use. They have another bat file to disconnect them.
but then they use Windows explorer and browse it says the S: drive folder is empty even though using \\servername in the search box to open Explorer shows all the files.

I guess the problem lies in, why does it say the folder is empty. Though entire time they can connect to the internet without issue. Its just the "S" drive on the Server and also one printer.

DougP

DougP, try this for starters:

on the affected Laptop (or Desktop), change the Computer Name, to the name of the Domain, e.g. if the domain is called DPD.local, then change the name of the PC to DPD...

also make sure that the USERNAME and PASSWORD is the same as the one on the DOMAIN...

reboot...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

BadBigBen, there are several laptops with this problem
all of them are identical computers, Lenovo we bought 10 of them. Some of them don't seem to have the problem at all.

So I could not rename several of them to that, Right?
I guess I could try it on one to see if that fixed the issue.

DougP

Network Identification is the MAC adress and the "ComputerName\UserName", so renaming different PCs should not be a problem...

it may lead to confusion on the user side, if they share between each other. in that case use the IP instead of the computer name...

keep us posted...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Forget about batch files and scripts, just create a new shortcut on your desktop.

Right-click desktop, select 'New' then 'Shortcut' and type \\servername\folder in the box. Job done.

You say "if I click the start button and type \\servername in the search box, an explorer window pops up and shows everything just fine" so the problem isn't to do with authentication.

If using Windows Home is a nightmare you can upgrade to a higher edition without reinstalling by using Windows Anytime Upgrade.

One more thing - the reason your 'go.bat' file opens in Notepad is that Notepad puts a '.txt' extension on the end of every file it saves. To get around this you need to put quotes around the whole file name and extension when you save it, i.e. "go.bat" (with the quotes).

Regards

Nelviticus

Actually I did create an icon as well. Mainly to allow them to get to a particular folder on the serve without having to drill down to it, saving time.
It does the same thing says the folder is empty.
for whatever reason the only thing that works is typing in the \\servername in the search box command

I think this has to do with them closing the lid of the laptop when they leave at night without shutting down. Going home and continuing to do work perhaps on the internet using their home connection. They cannot connect remotely as it’s shut off for security so items are saved locally to C or thumb drives. Then when they come back in the next day its has been running the whole and lost all connections during the away time?
Then they come to me and say I can’t do blah blah blah
So I just asked one person to shut down ( do a complete shuts down not just reboot) and let me know and they came to me and said that fixed it.

DougP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back